The most astonishing thing happened this morning. I learned that today is Ada Lovelace Day — an international web event to honor tech heroines. Even more amazing, I learned that oodles of people know about Augusta Ada, Countess of Lovelace, daughter of Lord Byron. And here I thought I was one of an exclusive few.
So who is my modern-day tech heroine? To quote the Ada Lovelace Day website: “Recent research by psychologist Penelope Lockwood discovered that women need to see female role models more than men need to see male ones.” But my field, web development, is so new. There’s hardly been time for any role models, let alone female ones.
My best support comes from a group named…. Can you guess…. The Lovelacians. They are, collectively and individually, my heroines. In alphabetical order, they are:
- Donna, a true web leader with a vision;
- Gill, the best web designer maybe on the planet — certainly in my universe;
- Heather, a super sys admin, who can actually explain her trade so that people like me can understand;
- Judy, my fellow jack-of-all-web-trades, savvy business woman and podcast co-hostess-with-the-mostest;
- Kim, the amazing Drupal Ninja biker chick.
I may not have a classic role model, but who needs one with wonderful, talented and generous friends like these?